In 1791, when Alnmouth was a thriving seaport, the Hindmarsh Hall was known to exist as a granary, which was one of a number, in Alnmouth. It was later used as a corn exchange. The river Aln changed course in 1806, separating the old church from the village. For over 50 years the population had to travel to either Lesbury or Warkworth to worship. In 1859 the Hall was converted into a church, which function it fulfilled, until 1876 when the new church of St John the Baptist was built.
In 1937 the Hindmarsh family purchased the building from the Duke of Northumberland, and, gave it to the people of Alnmouth for use as the Village Hall.
In recent years the hall has been refurbished externally and internally with the help of grants from several organisations and with lots of hard work by the villagers and other supporters. The Hindmarsh Hall is owned and managed by a village trust independently of the Parish Council. Within the building are a large hall with a stage, a smaller room and a fully equipped kitchen.
For further details or to hire the Hall please contact
Jean Cullen (01665 830501) email on: email@example.com
Alertenatively contact Lorna Ternent (01665 830444) email on: firstname.lastname@example.org