Briefing for Alnmouth Parish Council
· Latest Data Protection Bill has not yet become law.
· Some or many amendments are likely as it passes through
· This applies to information that could be used to identify a
living person. In practice this is likely to be addresses email
addresses, telephone numbers NI nos. Also applies to
information relating to a person’s ethnic origin, political
opinions religious leaning Trade Union membership, health
· The information can be in Hard or Soft format.
· This info must be processed lawfully
· Must only be used for the purpose for which it was given
o ie a person giving a filling a Gift Aid form for the H Hall fund cannot be approached, using this info, for any other purpose.
· It must be accurate
· It must not be stored safely and for not longer than necessary
o Clerk to acquire Encryption software for PC laptop
o Suggest that all councillors delete PC related emails (keep non-attributable text if you need to).
o Only use the email@example.com email address
o If a PC member receives an email from a villager and wishes to forward this to the rest of the PC then delete the address and only forward the text.
· APC must appoint a DPO. It is yet to be decided whether the Clerk may fulfil this role. In the interim an alternative should be appointed.
· All must record all personal data held and if this is shared with a third party. Ask for permission to hold this data.
o Suggest all councillors clean inboxes and contacts of all unnecessary emails. You must also be able to find data as individuals have the right to have personal data deleted.
· If an individual wants to know what data we hold we must be able to respond within a month to any “Subject Access Request”
· To use personal data you must use the Consent Form (on the Website), and the Privacy Notice (on the Website) inform subjects on how long you will keep the data
· Consult the DPO if the data involves Children (under 16), Information is lost, or there has been a data breach (ie loss of Memory stick, emails sent to the wrong person or equipment has been stolen.)
· Familiarise yourselves with the Tool Kit and all DP related Forms on the website.