ALNMOUTH PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF MEETING

 

TUESDAY 14th February 2017 at 7:30PM in the HINDMARSH HALL

 

PRESENT: Bill Bourne (Chair) (BB), Sarah Murphy (SM), David Denton (DD), Neil Gale (NG), Mac McHugh (MM), Susanne Gair (SG).

 

Also in attendance: Hazel Eccleston (Clerk), Gordon Castle (GC), Heather Cairns (HC). Three members of the public also present.

 

 

17/17 Apologies for Absence

  • Apologies were received from: Nick Mattlock, Harvey Roberts, George Ternent and Ed Williams.

 

18/16 Minutes of the Previous Meeting

  • MM proposed the minutes be accepted without amendment, SG seconded this, agreed by all.

 

19/17 Declaration of Interest

  • No declarations.

 

20/17 Matters Arising Out of Minutes

a)    Dr Joy’s Garden

No report.

 

b)    Alnmouth Public Lavatories

             BB reported receipt of an email from Kate Steele asking if APC were still interested in taking over   

             the Public Lavatories. BB had responded that it would depend on the deal on offer.

 

c)   The Clerk reported that a payment of s.106 funds totalling £6,275.92 had been received from NCC. BB noted that this left a small amount of funds which could be claimed to fund the purchase of plants for a hedge.

       d)   Small Boathouse

             The Clerk reported that she had informed Greg Galecki that the Parish Council would

              retain possession of the Small Boathouse on 1st March, as previously agreed.

 

21/17 Traffic Management and One-Way System

  • SM reported that there had been some confusion on this matter with NCC regarding the ‘objection letter’ sent to residents of Alnmouth. The Clerk reported that she had responded to an email from Margaret Robinson and asked her to communicate with SM or HR regarding any requests for information from the small working group formed with the group of traffic engineers in the village.
  • A full discussion followed regarding the suitability of responding to the ‘objection letter’. GC noted that the best way to respond, to avoid any issues over legitimacy or validity of response, was by email to NCC Highways. If a resident does not have access to a computer then a letter to NCC Highways would suffice. BB noted that it was the responsibility of the Parish Council to be open minded and represent the views of all residents not just one section.
  • GC and HC noted that the responses must be individual, verifiable and could not be collated into one response by the Parish Council or any other group. It must be possible to authenticate the responses received from the public, in order for them to be valid. MM argued that already completed forms/letters circulated by a group of engineers in the village should be accepted as valid views. GC responded that as they were pre-printed they could not be verified as the particular views of that person and would not be accepted.
  • Several Parish Councillors expressed concern that the method of responding was unnecessarily difficult and the process opaque.
  • GC noted that concerns regarding the Experimental Order would be reviewed at Easter and the trial itself would finish in the Autumn. GC assured the Parish Council that he would do what he could to keep them informed.
  • BB noted that Dan Fraser, from NCC had been very willing to listen. MM asked how visitors to the village could register their opinions. GC noted that they could use the same contact point with NCC Highways, as the residents.
  • GC assured the Parish Council that a solution would not be imposed on the village, against their wishes.
  • John Taylor, representing a group of traffic engineers in the village noted that the letter they had circulated was based directly on NCC’s legal notice. Mr Taylor repeated his willingness to work with the Parish Council and his wish to sit down and talk to NCCs Highways Officers.
  • Catherine Whyte expressed concern that all views should be looked at, both positive and negative and asked that the Parish Council should be even-handed. BB assured her that this was always the Parish Council’s intention.

Action: The Clerk to post reminders on who to contact on the Parish Council website. BB to place a reminder in the Newsletter, that residents need to contact NCC through the correct channels.

 

22/17 Beach Shelter Repairs

  • BB suggested that the Parish Council contribute half of the costs. This was agreed in principle on the condition that an acceptable quote was obtained.

Action: The Clerk to ask the Burgage Holders for an acceptable quote. Clerk and SM to research the ownership of the Beach Shelter.

 

23/17 Lawn Mower Replacement

  • BB circulated a quote obtained by GT. BB noted that the Parish Council had not budgeted for expenditure on a new mower and felt the current machine was still suitable for the purposes of the Parish Council.

 

24/17 Local Council Elections

  • The Clerk outlined the timetable for the forthcoming elections on 4th May and noted she could advise on where to obtain forms.

Action: Item to go in Newsletter.

 

25/17 Council Matters

  • GC felt it should be noted that Alnmouth was fully up to speed with high speed broadband.

 

26/27 Reports from Sub-Committees

 

          a)    Arts Festival

                 MM reported that everything was progressing well and another meeting would take place this

                 Sunday.

 

          b)    Christmas Lights

                  The Clerk reported that a fundraising coffee morning would take place on 25th February.

 

          c)     Village Maintenance

                  BB reported that a new planter would be delivered on Friday and he has completed the

                  claim form to reclaim the costs from BT, whose contractor caused the damage.

 

                  BB reported a complaint from a resident regarding the iron railings from Marine Road up

                  to Prospect Place,  DD reported that the footpath on the Foxton Road needed clearing

                  Action: Clerk to ask NCC to clear the path from the Cemetery to Mount Pleasant. Clerk

                  to report damaged railings to Tony Derbyshire at NCC.

 

           d)    Hindmarsh Hall Fundraising Committee

                  BB reported a meeting with the Architect recently, who now has permission to produce

                  images and costings. BB reported that a Food Festival would take place on 9th April to raise

                  funds for the Hindmarsh Hall.

 

           e)    Planning

                  SM reported on two planning applications:

 

                 1. Number: 16/04548/FUL

                     Applicant: Mr Stuart Milligan

                     Location: 1 Friary Gardens, Alnmouth

                     Proposal: Construction of detached garage.

                     Parish Council decision: Neutral

 

 

                 2. Number: 17/00166/PRUTPO

                     Applicant: Mr John Myers

                     Location: 18, Alnwood, Alnmouth

        Proposal: Tree preservation order application – 1 x cherry tree to be crown reduced

                         by 35%. Seedlings to be removed.

                     Parish Council Decision: Neutral

 

27/17 Finance

a)    The following invoices/expenses were presented. DD proposed that the invoices presented be paid, MM seconded this, agreed by all

  • Aurora DP (Newsletter) - £105
  • 1&1 (Website) - £23.99
  • Clerk’s Wage & Admin – £271.53 (27hrs + admin)
  • Postage - £2.06

 

Date

 

£       IN

£    OUT

1/01/17

Boathouse Rent

85

 

10/01/17

Clerk’s Wage & Admin/Stationery

 

271.53

10/01/17

Newsletter

 

105.00

10/01/17

Website

 

23.99

TOTAL = £3,100.17  Current Account         £3,704.17   Instant Reserve

 

 

b)    S.137 Funding Requests

  • The Clerk circulated funding requests received throughout the year. DD proposed the following donations, seconded by SM and agreed by all, to allocate funds as follows, as all supported or provided a benefit/essential service to various sections of the Parish.

 

  • Foodbank - £250
  • Northumberland Theatre Company (NTC) - £250
  • Citizens Advice Bureau (Alnwick Branch) - £250
  • Great North Air Ambulance - £250

 

28/17 Council Communications

  • Pension Regulator letter – confirmation that the Parish Council have not staff to put in a pension scheme.

 

29/17 Public Contribution

  • This was covered by Item 21/17.

 

30/17 Any Other Matters for Discussion

  • The Clerk asked if the Parish Council would be willing to contribute towards the costs of a shorthand course. Agreed by all that the item should go on the March agenda when it could be formally agreed.

 

  • MM asked if the Senior Citizens Lunch Committee had contributed towards the Hindmarsh Hall Committee Fund, BB reported that they had.

 

31/17 Date and Time of next Meeting

  • 14th March 2017, 7:30pm, The Hindmarsh Hall.

 

Print Print | Sitemap
© www.alnmouthparishcouncil.org.uk