Add Heading

ALNMOUTH PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF MEETING

 

TUESDAY 13th January 2015 at 7:30PM in the HINDMARSH HALL

 

Present: Bill Bourne (Chair), David Denton (DD), John Hobbis (JH), Pat Murphy (PM), George Ternent (GT),

Mac McHugh (MM), Donald Blythe (DB).

 

In Attendance: Hazel Eccleston (Clerk).

1/15 Apologies for Absence

Apologies were received from Parish Councillors, Nick Mattlock, Jill Brown and County Councillors Gordon Castle and Heather Cairns.

 

2/15 Minutes of the Previous Meeting

DB proposed the minutes of 9th December, seconded by PM. Passed by all as a true record of the meeting.

 

3/15 Matters Arising

  1. Boathouse Use

BB noted that he has emailed ABCRA and expects to meet with them very soon to discuss the terms of their use of the Boathouse. Agreed by all that a formal agreement, possibly for a five-year duration, was necessary.   

Action: BB to contact ABCRA and arrange a meeting.

 

4/15 Grants and Donations

The Clerk circulated a list of requests for grants/donations and information on the funds available to donate under s.137 Local Government Act 1972. PM proposed that a donation of £250 should be made to each of the following four organisations:

  • NTC                             
  • Alnwick Playhouse
  • Great North Air Ambulance
  • Citizens Advice Bureau Northumberland

Seconded by DD, agreed by all.

Action: Clerk to send cheques to the above four organisations.

 

5/15 Peases Park Upgrade Project

The Clerk reported that a communication from Reuben Morgan at NCC stated that the estimate submitted did not fulfil the criteria for using the funds allocated to Councillor Castle. GT proposed that the Parish Council should thank Gordan Castle for his efforts to secure funding and proceed with the upgrade project out of Parish Council funds. Seconded by DB, agreed by all.

Action: Clerk to inform contractors to proceed and thank Gordon Castle for his support.

 

6/15 Hindmarsh Hall Storage

BB noted that it was well established that the Parish Council (PC) and The Hindmarsh Hall (HH) have a serious storage problem. The Hindmarsh Hall Committee is currently focussing primarily on fundraising for their new floor, so BB suggested that the PC should investigate the costs of providing a secure and dry store in the yard at the rear of the HH, to be paid for entirely from PC funds. MM proposed that the Parish Council move forward with this investigation seconded by DD and agreed by all.

Action: BB to speak to Hindmarsh Hall committee chairman.

 

7/15 Parish Council Website

The Clerk reported that she is making progress with operating the website. She is still waiting for both the invoices and the formal transfer of the website from Nick Naylor and asked for any suggestions on improving  the website from Parish Councillors.

Action: Clerk to chase up URL transfer and invoices from Nick Naylor. Clerk to remind Parish Councillors of website address and all to provide suggestions/comments.

 

8/15 Review of Public Conveniences

BB reported that, following a request from NCC, a meeting would be held at his home on 19th January at 2pm. This meeting would be to discuss the letter sent out by NCC asking for a review of operation and management of public convienices in the light of the need to make significant budget savings. Agreed by all that the public toilets on Marine Road are a strategic tourist resource which it is vital to maintain.

Action: BB will meeting with NCC representatives and find out what their proposals are before reporting back.

9/15 Consultation on Options for School Organisation in the Alnwick Partnership

The Clerk reported that all parents had received an invitation to a consultation meeting on 21st January, 7pm, at Hipsburn First School. The Parish Council agreed that they had no further opinion to add.

 

10/15 Council Matters

No County Councillors present.

 

11/15 Reports From Sub-Committees

  1. Arts Festival

DB reported that planning for this year’s festival was well underway and was going well. Entertainent had been decided upon and artists and venues were being sorted out.

 

  1. Christmas Lights Committee

The Clerk reported that the team were currently taking down the lights and planning for this year’s fundraising activities would begin very soon.

 

  1. Village Maintenance

BB has spoken to Shian regarding new tubs for the village and she is currently investigating ‘self-watering’ planters. BB noted  that the wooden boards separating the borders from the paths and grass in Dr Joy’s Garden needed renewing. Also, the memorial stone should be removed from the gravel area to prevent further damage to it.

 

DD asked about progress with the Information Boards.  BB will speak to Helen Holden about the text for the boards and report back to the next meeting.

 

DB reported that the path alongside the Foxton road from Alnmouth to the Cemetary was virtually impassable. BB also noted that there was a lot of builders’ debris in the trees along Foxton Road.

 

BB noted that the Foxton road development had resulted in a Section 106 payment from the developer .BB asked the Clerk to invistigate the terms of the payment and how it could be spent.

Action: BB to speak to Shian Hartshorn regarding tubs and Dr Joys Garden. BB to speak to Helen Holden regarding the Information Boards. Clerk to report Foxton road, path to NCC. BB to speak to developer about the debris in the trees. Clerk to investigate s106 payment and terms.

 

  1. Planning

PM reported that there was nothing in the NCC Local Plan Core Strategy documentation which affected Alnmouth Parish directly. BB asked if the plan included parking at Alnmouth Station and PM reported that it did not but that there were plans for a further forty spaces on the North side of the station.

 

Application: 14/03909/VARYCO

      Proposal: Removal of conditions regarding office extension

            Location: High Buston Hall

            Applicant: Mr Arthur

Parish Council Comments: No Objection

 

Application: 14/03915/FUL

      Proposal: Construction of storage building

            Location: High Buston Hall

            Applicant: Mr Arthur

Parish Council Comments: No objections

New Applications

Application: 14/04125/FUL

      Proposal: Alnmouth Boys Club Development

      Location: Alnmouth

            Applicant: Tom Batey

Parish Council Comments: PM will reprt on this application at the next meeting. PM confirmed that the boys club development was for 5 dwellings

 

  1. Senior  Citizens Christmas Lunch

BB reported that the lunch had been a very successful event and that organising committee should be congratulated.

Action: Chairman to pass on congratulations of the Parish Council to the SCL Committee.

 

12/15 Finance

a)     To approve changes to the Clerk’s salary

     The Clerk reported that the National Joint Council for Local Government Services (NJC) has reached

     agreement on the new pay scales for 2014/16 to be implemented from 1st January 2015. The agreement is for      

     a wage increase to £9.20ph and a one-off bonus payment of £12.48 (£100 pro rata). DB proposed that

     the Parish Council increase the Clerk’s wage to the nationally-agreed level, seconded by GT, agreed by all.

 

b)    To appove expenses, any invoices or expense claims received prior to or during the meeting and to discuss any other issues related to the finances of the Parish Council as are deemed necessary.

  • Newsletter - £105
  • Clerk’s Wage and Admin (inc bonus payment and increased hours) = £246.69
  • Stationery - £44.71

 

The Clerk provided a list of transactions by the Parish Council for December.

Parish Council

Date

 

£ IN

£ OUT

1/12/14

Boathouse Rent

85

 

9/12/14

Hindmarsh Hall Meetings

 

54

9/12/14

Aurora DP

 

105

9/12/14

Clerk – Wage + Admin

 

185.22

9/12/14

Burgage Holders – Beach Cleaning

 

1,028

TOTAL = £9,912.16 Current Account                            £6,868.98 Instant Reserve

 

13/15 Council Communications

The Clerk reported receipt of the following communications:

  • Local Council Review – Winter 2014
  • Community Action Northumberland News – December 2014
  • Clerks and Councils Direct – January 2015
  • The Clerk Magazine – January 2015

14/15 Public Contribution

None present.

 

15/15 Any Other Business

The Clerk requested permission to attend an SLCC-run course on finance in July, to be held in Harrogate at a cost of £95 for the course. PM proposed that the Parish Council should pay for the finance course and reasonable out of pocket expenses incurred to attend the course, seconded by MM, agreed by all. The Clerk also suggested that she study for the CiLCA Award which would result in the Parish having a fully qualified Clerk; the course costs £250.

 

DB reported that, despite requests in the village newsletter, no response had been received for suggestions for a piece of artwork for the village. DB requested some guidance from the Parish Council on the way to proceed; DB also asked if Alnmouth had a logo. After a discussion it was suggested that the coloured houses of Lovaine Terrace could be the basis of a village logo.

 

DB asked if a representative from AONB would be attending a future meeting. BB noted that Mr Robson could attend the February meeting.

 

BB asked those present to think about the question of co-opting a Parish Councillor, to fill the space left by the resignation of Nick Naylor.

Action: Clerk to investigate CiLCA course details. DB to investigate artwork and logo for the village. BB to invite Iain Robson, from AONB, to the next meeting

 

16/15 Date and Time of Next Meeting

The date of the next meeting was set for, Tuesday 10th February 2015, 7.30pm, The Hindmarsh Hall.

Here's where you can enter in text. Feel free to edit, move, delete or add a different page element.

Print Print | Sitemap
© www.alnmouthparishcouncil.org.uk