Add Heading

ALNMOUTH PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF MEETING

 

TUESDAY 8th March 2016 at 7:30PM in the HINDMARSH HALL

 

Present: Bill Bourne (BB) (Chair), Donald Blythe (DB), Ed Williams (EW), David Denton (DD), Nick Mattlock (NM) (Vice-Chair), George Ternent (GT), Sarah Murphy (SM).

 

In Attendance: Hazel Eccleston (Clerk) and County Councillor Heather Cairns (HC).

 

26/16 Apologies for Absence

Apologies were received from Parish Councillors Jill Brown, Mac McHugh, Neil Gale County Councillor Gordon Castle.

 

27/16 Minutes of the Previous Meeting

The minutes of 12th February were agreed.

 

28/16    Matters Arising out of the Minutes

  1. Peases Park Upgrade

NM reported that all the costs for repairs and new equipment in came to £6,877, for which an application would be made for s.106 funds. NM expressed some difficulty in contacting Maureen Dixon at NCC but would continue his efforts.

 

  1. Dr Joy’s Garden

BB had no report to make but noted that he and DD would meet to put together a specification.

 

  1. Parish Bus Shelter

BB reported an email from Rev. Ian McKarill to say that the church need to establish if the ground is consecrated.

 

29/16 Declarations of Interest

None.

 

30/16 Council Matters

HC noted that she only had four matters to report on:

  1. The budget has been passed to progress the move of County Hall to a new site in Ashington.
  2. The Council tax will increase by 2% year on year.
  3. The double yellow lines would be going down soon. SM asked how far around the corner at the top of Riverside Road, the lines would extend and noted that 7m would not be enough.

 

31/16  Reports fromSub-Committees

  1. Arts Festival

DB reported that two schools – Hipsburn and Warkworth First Schools, had been given grants to produce artwork for the Festival. Punch and Judy has been booked and the children’s art in the park, organised. On Sunday a performance in story, dance and art would take place. A bar had been organised and food and coffee provision was in place. DB noted that he will be checking the signs in the boathouse soon but noted that some were already broken. DB reported that a children’s art competition had been run for the first time and he encouraged everyone to look at the entries that had been posted as they were such high quality. The six winners would be made into postcards and sold during the festival.

 

GT asked if more keys to the Boathouse could be produced to make access easier as it was a Parish Council resource as well as being used by ABCRA. There was some discussion about the use made of the Boathouse by ABCRA. BB hoped that there would be less need to move items of equipment from now on.

Action: BB to speak to ABCRA regarding the keys and the Clerk to check when the lease was due for renewal

 

  1. Christmas Lights Committee

The Clerk reported that the Committee was in the process of organising Quiz Night.

 

 

  1. BB noted that the tubs would be replaced soon, he has bought gravel and compost hopes to get the job done this month. BB noted that he will speak to Shian Hartshorn regarding a date to organise the planters.

 

GT noted that Northumberland Estates seemed to have the repairs to Lovers walk in hand. The Clerk noted she had received no communication from Northumberland Estates. SM noted that she had been informed that the damage had extended and the hold up was the issue of the electrical cable.

 

DB noted that the verge which runs alongside Peases Park was in a terrible state. BB noted that it had been reported to Highways

Action: Clerk to report it to Highways again and suggest ‘grasscrete’ as an option.

 

The Clerk reported that the light on the lamp in the War Memorial was out.

Action: to be dealt with by the Parish Council.

 

  1. Hindmarsh Hall Fund

BB noted that the surveyor had inspected the Hall last week, including the floor joists and a report was expected soon.

 

  1. Planning

Proposal: Fell 2 Scots Pine trees

Location:  18 Alnwood

Applicant: John Byers

 

Proposal: Demolition of garage and wall

Location:  Waleric House

Applicant: Mr Edward McKee

Deadline: 14th March

 

Proposal: External altrations including removal of redundant chimmney stack, rebuilding existing dormer window with pitched roof and alterations to first floor window openings.

Location: Flats 1 and 3 Clyde House, Riverside Road

Applicant: Mr Brian Summers

Deadline: 7th March

 

Permission Granted     

Proposal: Change of use of existing dwelling (C3) to Guest House (C1) including minor external alterations to pipework

Location: St. Valery, 27 Northumberland St.

Applicant: Mr Roberts

 

Proposal: Listed Building consent for minor alterations and restoration to east windows, north gable, east dormers, east elevation paintwork and damp-proofing.

Location: Seafield House, Alnmouth

Applicant: Mr Neil Blackwell Brown

 

Withdrawn Applications

Proposal: Listed Building consent for proposed timber crib

Location: High Buston Hall

Applicant: Mr Giles Arthur

 

 

32/16 Finance

The following invoices/expenses were approved by all.

  • Clerk’s wage & Stationery = £238.80 (INC £18 Admin) + AAF Contribution = £266.40
  • Stamps = £3.78
  • Parish Website = £23.99
  • Newsletter – £105

 

The Clerk provided a list of transactions by the Parish Council for February 2016.

Date

 

£

IN

£

OUT

1/02/16

Boathouse Rent

85

 

09/02/16

Website

 

23.99

09/01/16

Aurora DP

 

105

9/02/16

Clerk’s Wages & Admin & stamps

 

238.80

9/2/16

Boathouse - Lighting

 

11.30

9/2/16

CAB Donation

 

250

9/2/16

Alnwick Playhouse Donation

 

250

9/2/16

NTC Donation

 

250

9/2/16

Great North Air Ambulance

 

250

16/02/16

VAT Reclaim

1,294

 

16/02/16

Burgage Holders – Toilet Opening Donation

1,000

 

TOTAL = £7,248.81      Current Account                            £3,699.56 Instant Reserve

 

 

BB noted that some investment was required in a new computer for the Clerk as she currently used her own house computer, which was quite old. BB suggested that the Burgage  Holders might want to share the costs.

Action: GT to raise the suggestion of sharing costs with the Burgage Holders.

 

33/16 Council Communications

·         Rev McKarill – a meeting regarding the Churchyard extension will be arranged shortly

·         Bailiffgate Museum – letter of introduction from new Chair – Mal Graham

·         The Clerk magazine (March 2016)

·         Clerks & Councils Direct (March 2016)

·         Residents Festival leaflets

·         Proposed use of small boathouse by Adam Bell

 

 

34/16 Public Contribution

Two members of the public attended: Adam Bell and Eddie McKee.

 

Adam Bell put forward a proposal for the small boathouse to use the location to provide a cycle hire service and to act as a base for his cycle repair business. Adam noted that he had acquired the bikes for hire from AONB. A number of issues were raised including the limited security of the boathouse. A discussion took place regarding issues such as the state of repair of the boathouse and the availability. Adam confirmed that he was willing to pay rent on the building. Questions were asked about insurance of the bikes and the means of booking them. Adam confirmed that he was in the process of acquiring insurance quotes.

 

BB noted that the Parish Council were sympathetic to the idea of this project. EW felt that a business plan was required to establish if the bike hire business was viable. NM noted that there were no facilities at the boathouse for operating such items as a till or even a kettle. Adam felt that solar panels or a generator would solve this issue.

Action: Clerk to give Greg Galecki notice to quit the building on 1st March 2017. Adam to provide a business plan by the April meeting.

 

 

35/16 Any Other Matters for Discussion

DB asked if there were any plans to mark the Queen’s 90th Birthday. No-one was aware of any plans

Action: Clerk to place on the April agenda.

 

DB noted that some members of the public could not see the noticeboad as there was a bench in the way. BB noted that, that section of pavement was a bit congested but that it would be given some consideration.

 

BB noted that David Francis from NALC was retiring and asked if anyone would like to contribute to his leaving present.

Action: Clerk to send a letter of appreciation.

 

BB noted that NALC had proposed a plan to provide a portal for Parish Council websites and they are aksing for expressions of interest. NM noted the present Parish Council website was easy to run but expensive.

Action: NM to look into this issue.

 

 

36/16 Date and Time of Next Meeting

The date of the next meeting was set for, Tuesday 19th April 2016 at 7.30pm in the Hindmarsh Hall.

 

Print Print | Sitemap
© www.alnmouthparishcouncil.org.uk