ALNMOUTH PARISH COUNCIL

DRAFT MINUTES OF MEETING

 

TUESDAY 13th October 2015 at 7:30PM in the HINDMARSH HALL

 

Present: Bill Bourne (BB) (Chair), Nick Mattlock (NM), George Ternent (GT), Donald Blythe (DB), Ed Williams (EW), John Hobbis (JH), Jill Brown (JB), Mac McHugh (MM).

 

In Attendance: Hazel Eccleston (Clerk) and County Councillor Heather Cairns (HC).

 

122/15 Apologies for Absence

Apologies were received from Parish Councillors David Denton and Calum Burns and County Councillor Gordon Castle.

 

123/15 Minutes of the Previous Meeting

The minutes of 8th September were agreed with the following amendments:

·         Parish Councillor Jill Brown added to those present.

·         114/15 – next deadline to application is 20th November.

 

124/15 Matters Arising out of the Minutes

·         Painting of Beacon Pole

This item was deferred until November as Parish Councillor David Denton could not attend.

 

·         Parish Website

HE reported that ownership of the website had now been transferred into her name and she is awaiting the invoices from January to September 2015. 

  

125/15 Declarations of Interest

None

 

126/15 Public Conveniences – Future Use

BB reported on discussions with NCC which indicated that the toilets would be closed from November to Easter, but could remain open if the Parish Council contributed to the costs, which would be £2000, less if the facilities were opened only at specific times such as the Christmas Lights Switch-on or New Year.  HC reported that discussions at Bamburgh had resulted in a decision to keep toilets there open all year and it was decided to ask again for a similar arrangement for Alnmouth, on the grounds that the tourist season lasts all year in Alnmouth as well.  It appears that NCC are unclear about the ownership of at least parts of the building and DB noted that anecdotal evidence suggested that Alnmouth Parish Council could be the owner

Action: BB and Clerk to draft a letter to NCC, outlining the Parish Council objections to the closure of the Public Toilets in the village and asking for the ownership issue to be clarified.

 

127/15 – Small Boathouse – Future Use

A delegation, led by Mrs Joanne Driscoll, presented their proposals for a beach school/classroom in the small boathouse which could be used by a variety of groups. GT noted that the proposal document should be examined before a final decision was made and following a full discussion BB proposed that the Parish Council agree, in principle, to allow Jo Driscoll’s team to move forward with their project to use the Small Boathouse on the understanding that certain key points were addressed such as the formation of a proper Association to manage it.  The proposal was seconded by JB and agreed by all present.

Action: Clerk to write to Greg Galecki and Jo Driscoll to inform them of the Parish Council decision

 

128/15 – Parish Bus Shelters

BB noted that the village needed a bus shelter next to the Post Office and suggested conducting a feasability study to build a stone shelter on Church land to include:

  • Seats which could be used to store newspapers for the Post Office inside.
  • A noticeboard
  • Lighting

Action: Clerk to contact the Church Warden with the proposal and DB and JB will then progress discussions.

 

129/15 Peases Park upgrade

NM noted that he was awaiting a further quote for a basket swing, from Wicksteed. GT handed in a quote from Simon Rippon to cut down the bushes in Peases Park and to supply and make a fence behind the benches.

Action: NM to complete forms for s.106 application and include the quote from Simon Rippon in the application.

 

130/15 Bonfire Night 2015

BB noted that the Parish Council had taken over the running of Bonfire Night, following the decision by the Friends of Hipsburn School to cease their involvement in this event. BB proposed that the Parish Council should donate £250 into a ‘firework fund’ – seconded by MM, agreed by all. BB reported that any funds raised by the sale of soup, hotdogs etc, would be given to the Hindmarsh Hall fund. JB suggested buying a first aid box for use at events like this.

Action: The Clerk will write to the Burgage Holders and ask if they would like to match the Parish Council donation. Oliver Driscoll to organise purchase of fireworks, JB to organise soup and first aiders.

 

131 County Council Matters

No additional matters other than those already discussed on the agenda.

 

132/15 Reports From Sub-Committees

  1. Arts Festival

JB reported that she has stepped down as Chair of the committee and will be replaced by Naomi Valentine. DB reported that a lot of new ideas were generated at the last meeting. DB is awaiting news on some of the venues used and noted that a bigger marquee was being looked at.

 

  1. Christmas Lights Committee

The Clerk reported that build nights were going well as were preparations for switch on. Hipsburn School has agreed to work on simple Christmas Lanterns with the children, which could be brought along on the night.

 

  1. Village Maintenance

NM reported that the parts have arrived from Playdale to fix the swing seats in the Park.

 

BB noted that a plinth to hold the stone in Dr Joy’s garden, was still required.

Action: Clerk to ask NCC to sweep around the war Memorial in time for Remembrance Sunday and to clean the gulleys in the village. BB to ask ‘Greenfingers’ for the costs of constructing a new plinth.

 

  1. Planning

The Clerk reported that the Northumberland Local Plan Core Strategy: Pre-submission draft consultation starts on 14th October and runs until Wednesday 25th November 2015. Copies of the representation form and guidance note to assist in the making of representations, can be downloaded from the County Council website at http://northumberland-consult.limehouse.co.uk/portal/planning/core_strategy/cspsd or they can be requested in hard copy from County Hall. There are also drop-in sessions all over Northumberland, the Alnwick session is on 31st October, 10am-3pm, St. James’ Community Hall.

 

The Clerk reported on the following applications:

New Applications

Application: 15/03134/VARYCO

Proposal: Variation to condition 2 – enlargement of 2nd Floors to four of the properties.

Location: Alnmouth Boys Club

Applicant: Mr T. Batey

Comments: None

 

Permissions Granted

Application: 15/02697/FUL

Proposal: Single storey extension

Location: 4, The Pinfold

Applicant: Miss J. Brown

 

Permissions Granted

Application: 15/02730/FUL

Proposal: Glazed canopy

Location: 46 Northumberland Street

Applicant: Mr J. Taylor

Permission Refused

Application: 15/01706/FUL

Proposal: 2 dormers and enlargement of dining room window

Location: 29, Riverside Road

Applicant: Mrs J. Edwards

 

133/15 Finance

To appove expenses, any invoices or expense claims received prior to or during the meeting and to discuss any other issues related to the finances of the Parish Council as are deemed necessary.

Approved by all.

  • Clerk’s wage = £272.58 (INC £18 ADMIN + £6.18 stationery)
  • Parish Website = £23.99
  • SLCC Subscription = £77

The Clerk provided a list of transactions by the Parish Council for September.

Date

 

£

IN

£

OUT

1/09/15

Boathouse Rent

85

 

1/09/15

Plants

 

20.00

8/09/15

Petrol for Mower

 

21.46

8/09/15

Newsletter

 

105

8/09/15

NEED Bus Subscription

 

21.00

8/09/15

CAN Donation

 

20.00

14/07/15

Clerk – Wage, Admin & stationery Expenses

 

242.58

15/09/15

Precept

6,250

 

29/09/15

Stationery

 

32.99

TOTAL = £11,090.11 Current Account                    £3,693.38 Instant Reserve

 

134/15 Council Communications

Receipt of the following communications was reported:

  • A duplicated letter of objection signed by the six members of the public, objecting to the proposed parking restrictions on Riverside road.

Action: The objections were duly noted and the Clerk was instructed to forward the letters to Dan Fraser, contact point at NCC for the Riverside Road – Alnmouth - parking restrictions consultation.

  • Hippotherapy – Therapy for children with special needs – request for funding.

Action: Clerk to inform applicant that this request would be considered at the November meeting.

 

135/15 Public Contribution

None

 

136/15 Any Other Matters for Discussion

John Hobbis told the Parish Council that he intended to resign his position as Councillor with effect from the November meeting, but would continue to help the village and the Parish Council in respect of electricity supply to events in the Park etc.

 

BB reported that the village newsletter will run a story on the change of route for the X18 and its affect on the village.

 

DB noted that the roundabout was becoming an accident blackspot. DB noted that a number of signs advertising estate agents, ‘Bradley Hall’ had gone up and asked if they could be taken down.

 

DB suggested that the ‘Clean Beach 1983’ sign should be removed. Agreed.

Action: Clerk to find out if the ‘Bradley Hall’ signs could be removed and to contact Highways regarding roundabout. Clerk and BB to draft a letter of objection to the X18 route change to Arriva.

 

137/15 Date and Time of Next Meeting

The date of the next meeting was set for, Tuesday 10th November 2015 at 7.30pm in the Hindmarsh Hall.

Print Print | Sitemap
© www.alnmouthparishcouncil.org.uk